Monday, January 2, 2012

Theme for 2012

So, I've decided on my theme for the year (or possibly the month if this doesn't work out).

If you read my previous post, you noticed a link to an article with tips on how to stop beating yourself up. One of the tips was about New Year's Resolutions. Instead of locking yourself in to a promise to improve yourself, whether it be diet and exercise or better budgeting, decide on a theme for the year. I like this concept. It seems a more well rounded way of approaching self improvement. It also doesn't lock you in to a regiment--you know, the kind that have never worked for you anyways?

So, after much thought, (and 2 days of testing it out to see if i could live with that) I decided that my theme for the year would be Organization. I like it. It's working on many areas in my life where I would like to see improvement. I find myself taking those few extra seconds to clean up small areas of my life. The best thing is, I don't have to have everything perfect or become an organizational expert overnight. I'm just taking advantage of small moments to make small changes.

The other benefit to thinking in themes is that I get credit for the things I already do well anyways. For example, my lesson plans are always well organized, but today when I was organizing them for tomorrow, I smiles at myself for helping to fulfill my theme for the year. It's important to give yourself credit for all the things you do well every day instead if always focusing only on those areas that need improvement. Thank you elephant journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment