Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lessons

Today I taught a child a few things. Things that will never help her pass a test, pass a Regents exam or even graduate high school. But, these things will, I think, give her a richer life nonetheless.

Tonight, we went to a play at the lake. Afterwards, we walked down the breakfront I had explored that morning. We found a small path that snaked down into the shallow water. She saw the seaweed and said, with a squinched up nose, "What's that?" I told her it was seaweed, a plant that grows in the water.

I boldly walked right in, picked some seaweed up and said, "Do you believe people are afraid of seaweed? It's just a plant that grows in the water." She walked in the water slowly, avoiding the seaweed as best she could. I started looking for seashells and cool rocks, and she followed suit. I tied up my sundress to keep it from getting wet and began following her "oooh's" and "Look at this," and "Come under here's."
By the end of our exploration, she had collected some rocks and seashells, and my dress was more than a little damp. On the way out of the water, she grabbed a bunch of seaweed, draped it over her arms and said, "It's just a plant that grows in water." I taught her how to love the water, not be afraid of green stuff, and to always be on the lookout for simple treasures. She taught me that not only is it okay for a grown-up to get their clothes wet, it's just as fun as when you're a kid.

1 comment:

  1. Children it seems are able to carry their fears in such a way that it does not hold them back from simply doing as needs doing, and of course within that comes the reassurance of the parent, Seems funny how when we get older our fears seem to harness us more and hold us back...

    ReplyDelete